Ulriksdal Palace Open today 12.00-16.00

Ulriksdal Palace Halls

A tour of Ulriksdal Palace gives the visitor an exciting view of interior design spanning from the 1600s to the 1900s. On view are rooms decorated in 1800s Romantic style to the more fastidious interiors of the 1900s.

One of the highlights of the palace is the living room that was decorated by Carl Malmsten in the 1920s for the then Crown Prince Gustaf VI Adolf and the Crown Princess Louise.

Several of the rooms on show were created for Karl XV by Fredrik W. Sholander.

Ulriksdal in Solna was built in about 1640 for one of the most powerful men in the country, the Constable of the Realm Jacob De la Gardie, and it was originally called Jacobsdal, "Jacob's Dale", after him.

Originally the building was in the Renaissance style, but its exterior has been transformed several times, and the present appearance of the building dates from the first half of the 18th century.

Starting point for a magnificent coronation

De la Gardie's Jacobsdal was the starting point for Queen Christina's magnificent coronation procession in 1650. The coronation coach used by her on that occasion is now on display at Ulriksdal.

In 1669 the Queen Dowager Hedvig Eleonora purchased the Palace. She made a present of it in 1684 to her newborn grandson, Prince Ulrik, and the Palace was then renamed Ulriksdal.

The little prince died only a year later. His grandmother resumed the Palace, but it kept its new name.

18th century

In the mid-18th century, when King Adolf Fredrik and Queen Lovisa Ulrika used the Palace, a court theatre was fitted out in the old riding school.

Today the Confidence, as it came to be called, is a popular theatre during the summer season.

In 1821 the old Palace building was turned into an invalid hospital. Twenty-five years later, Ulriksdal became a royal residence again, when Crown Prince Karl (XV) and Crown Princess Lovisa repaired it and had many of the interiors redecorated.

Keen collectors

They were keen collectors of furniture and decorative arts from the Renaissance, among other periods, and Ulriksdal eventually became a museum home.

Some of the museum furnishings are still to be seen in the Palace today. In 1864-65 Karl and Lovisa also had a chapel built, to designs by the architect F. W. Scholander.

The living room

Ulriksdal is closely associated with King Gustaf VI Adolf and Queen Louise. The famous 1923 living room dates from their time.

The furnishings were a wedding present from the people of Stockholm, and Carl Malmsten designed the furniture. This living room is one of the finest 20th century interiors in Sweden.

The south wing of the Palace houses the offices of the World Wide Fund for Nature, WWF.

For some years now, the Orangery, a late 17th century building, has been a museum of Swedish sculpture.

Photo: Royalpalaces.se

Copperplate engraving of Ulriksdal Palace by the draftsman Erik Dahlbergh, from the folio Suecia antiqua et hodierna. Photo: The Royal Library

The Oxenstierna Room is also known as the Tidö Room after its doors dating from the 1630s, which were donated to King Karl XV by the owner of Tidö Castle. Photo: Kate Gabor/Royalpalaces.se

The Confidencen palace theatre. The rooms were equipped with a table à confidence, a table that could be lowered into the basement allowing guests to hold conversations in confidence without being heard by outsiders. Photo: Kate Gabor/Royalpalaces.se

Ulriksdal in 1950. King Gustaf VI Adolf with Crown Prince Carl Gustaf on their way to the Orangery. Photo: Lennart Nilsson

The living room. King Gustaf VI Adolf and Queen Louise's 1923 living room has been preserved with Carl Malmsten's décor. Photo: Kate Gabor/Royalpalaces.se

Visit us

Guided tours Open today 12.00-16.00

Join the guided tours and hear about the palace’s royal history, the history of the building itself and the preserved furnishings.

Read more
Group Visits Open today 12.00-16.00

For larger groups, we recommend a pre-booked tour with your own guide. Guided tours can be given in Swedish, simple Swedish or English.

Read more

Discover more at Ulriksdal Palace

Ulriksdal Palace Halls Open today 12.00-16.00

A tour of Ulriksdal Palace gives the visitor an exciting view of interior design spanning from the 1600s to the 1900s. On view are rooms ...

Read more
The Orangery Museum Open today 12.00-16.00

Centrally located in the Ulriksdal Palace grounds beside the palace itself lies the greenhouse built in 1600s. Nowadays the Orangery hous...

Read more
Ulriksdal Visitor Centre and café Open today 12.00-16.00

In the palace grounds you will find Ulriksdal Palace Visitor centre and café. Here you can enjoy lunch in the cosy café space or take a c...

Read more

The Visit center in Ulriksdal Palace Park is housing sale from the Royal Gift Shop. You will also find visit information about the attrac...

Read more
The Palace Theatre Confidencen Open today 12.00-16.00

Sweden's oldest Rococo theatre, which dates back to 1753, offers both performances and guided tours. In 1976, Princess Christina showed t...

Read more

Ulriksdal Palace has had a chapel since 1662. At that time a chapel was built in the palace's northern wing by architect Jean de la Vallé...

Read more

Articles and movies

Ulriksdal Palace is open for self-guided visits during July. Visit a Royal palace set in a Royal National City Park, and combine nature w...

Read more

The summer season at the Royal palaces begins in May. This is when several of the summer palaces – where royalty have spent many spring a...

Read more

In 1923, the newlywed Crown Prince Gustaf (VI) Adolf and Louise Mountbatten moved into Ulriksdal Palace. What they asked for as a wedding...

Read more

Customer service

Opening hours: Open today 12.00-16.00